Sunday, September 13, 2009

A few observations

First and foremost, I really like the town I´ve been placed in. Starting off was tough, what with the language barrier and the whole being an ¨extanjero¨thing. But I´ve been getting to know the people who I´m living with and things are getting better every day. However, there are some things about this country that I will never get used to. The thing that gets to me the most is how wet this country is ALL THE TIME. It won´t rain for a week and the walk out to the farms is still extremely muddy. I can´t understand it. I used to think that I would eventully become acustomed to the climate here, but I still sweat everyday while doing nothing more than walking from one side of the town to the other. There is a strange mix of culture that seems very out of place here. Everywhere I go I see namebrand clothing (or knockoff name brand clothing) worn by people who live in houses that are practically falling into disrepair. They have ridiculous stereo systems but can only afford to eat rice and plantains for most of their meals. These things still strike me as strange, but less so everyday. I´m becoming Panamanian!

1 comment:

  1. Jeff! Just found your blog. Woot!! I´m coming to visit Marin sometime in the near future (i.e. before the year is over) so maybe I´ll see you! Hope you are safe and healthy out in scary Colon. -Mary

    ReplyDelete