Friday, July 31, 2009

Sitting in an internet cafe in Colon city


So Colon city is as dirty and sketchy as they say it is. Write it down, put your money on it, and skip the visit you have been planning on making for oh-so-long. Below is a map of the entire city and I´ve marked (roughly) the area that is safe to travel in between the morning and the afternoon. After dinner time, all bets are off. Oh and half of the area is the Free Trade Zone, which is basically anoth city in and of itself complete with impossibly high concrete walls topped with barbed wire and entrances staffed by armed guards (armed guards are a much more common sight in this country than back home).



Yup, inside those two small boxes. I don´t feel threatened at all walkiing down the street, but I always check out the road before I walk down and always walk on the outside part of the sidewalk in order to avoid the entryways into the buildings. I figure that a 6´7¨guy such as myself with a neab look on his face (the meanest I can manage) won´t have too many problems. Time will tell for sure. A van on the street below this internet cafe filled with speakers is bumping one of the local Colon radio stations. It keeps switching between tipico (the Panamanian version of country music, nore or less), popular raggaeton, and trance music. All of which is calling out to the Panamania in me.

¡Viva Colon y todos los Colonenses!

No comments:

Post a Comment