Saturday, November 21, 2009

First blood! (Plus my new nevera)

So I was out at a mini-junta the other day (a junta is when a bunch of people get together to work on something) cleaning out some monte for an area to plant frijoles. Josengo (whose property we were working on) and I went off to the next ridge over to try and find where his dog went to. He kept calling ti and calling it but it only got further away. To make a long story short (and I'll be sure to give you all the longer version when I come home next month), we ended up killing the conejo pintado (litterly painted rabbit, though it looks more like a pig to me) that the dog had cornered in its hole/home. Below are the post-hunt pictures. (WARNING: beheaded carcass pictures follow)


The hunting party and the kill. They tell me that this one is pretty small at about 7 lbs or so, but it felt heavy enough trying to carry it back from the farm.

A close up of the kill. Gruesome? Yes. Awesome? Absolutely.

Cleaning the meat off in preperation for dinner. I meant to get a picture of the finished meal but I was so hungry by the time it was finally cooked I scarfed it down without thinking about getting a photo of it.

And today's extra about my house: my refrigerator! Now I know all you TEA volunteers out there are like "Pff. You didn't have a refrigerator until now? Please. I'm the one who has it rough. My wireless internet hasn't worked for weeks and the water keeps shutting off." And I really have nothing in retaliation to say to you. You've got it rough indeed. Anyway, this is a big deal for me, mostly since I can have cold water to come back to after a long days work in the monte. So what does a volunteer such as myself keep in the refrigerator? Let's find out.
Looks like we've got day old rice in the blue bowl, some Japanese oranges in a bag, Various sauces (including my imported Srirachi sauce, thank you Mom and Dad) plus some jelly in the door. Plenty of water, and some seed packets where there should be eggs. Well played if I do say so myself.
And finally, the kitchen is complete. Or as complete as it is going to get. I really think the fridge adds to the fung shuei of the room, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment